HuffPo (Huffing Popcorn) Will Kill You

I have pretty much stopped eating microwave popcorn because the hulls get caught in my teeth and throat. (I have a dainty throat.)

Now I have a better reason. It could kill me. The headline might be:

ORVILLE REDENBACHER KILLS M&M KING

Seems a guy in Colorado did almost died from eating microwave popcorn. But like most “death from food” stories, there is the “idiot over does it” factor. He developed a lung condition that doctors see from people who work in popcorn factories.

At first, the doctors thought his breathing problem was from birdie poo or mold. Lucky for him, the doctor he consulted had worked with popcorn manufacturers about “popcorn workers’ lung.” The symptoms appeared to be the same.

“I said to him, ‘This is a very weird question, but bear with me. But are you around a lot of popcorn?’ ” Dr. Rose asked. “His jaw dropped and he said, ‘How could you possibly know that about me? I am Mr. Popcorn. I love popcorn.’ ”

The guy had eaten microwave popcorn twice a day for ten years. Here’s the weird part…

“When he broke open the bags, after the steam came out, he would often inhale the fragrance because he liked it so much,” Dr. Rose said. “That’s heated diacetyl, which we know from the workers’ studies is the highest risk.”

He stopped eating microwave popcorn and his condition improved.

Now he is eating cheeseburgers and weighs 455 pounds.

I never cared for Hot Pockets.

hotpockets.jpg

UPDATE: seems that most of the popcorners are removing this chemical now.  Isn’t that interesting! Been causing problems for years with their workers, but when a consumer (think class action lawsuit) has a problem, bingo – chemical not needed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments are closed.