Isn’t that just the cutest little logo? Did you think about how much power Google consumes to bring you 476,894 results when you search for “upside-down oblique claimenforbers?”
One of Google’s plants alone consumes as much power as a town of 200,000 people.
L to R: Googles first server, one of 19 data centers, typical server rack.
Here’s what Google wants when locating a data center:
- Large volumes of cheap electricity.
- Green energy. Focuses on renewable power sources.
- Proximity to rivers and lakes. They use a large amount of water for cooling purposes.
- Large areas of land. Allows for more privacy and security.
- The distance to other Google data centers (for fast connections between data centers).
- Tax incentives.
Just like any other big bidness. They want cheap, green, wet, private, clustered and tax free. They put on a nice front that they are “green.” But bidness is only going green if it benefits the shareholders. Make no mistake about that.
When you have a mantra of “do no evil” peeps are watching really closely.
Have a nice Earth Day.