Harley Davidson Motorcycles, the must-have toy by many white male baby boomers has passed a significant milestone with out a word about it.
A top Harley-Davidson executive had said that in 2012, for the first time in years, the average buyer of the company’s bikes was not a baby boomer.
For a brand defined by the emergence and, lately, the aging of the post-World War II cohort of consumers, that’s a big deal – proof the 110-year-old company is gaining traction with a new generation of riders.
Of course, Harley didn’t really have to do anything to lower the average age of their buyers because baby boomers are trading in their Harleys for Hover-rounds.
2012 was the first year that the average age moved the Harley demographic into the Gen X age. True if you by into the specific year cutoff and think the oldest Gen X is significantly different from the youngest Baby Boomer.
Harley is now targeting African-Americans. Latinos and (gasp) WOMEN as buyers. If you’re a guy on a Harley Sportster 883 Low, you’re riding a GIRL’S bike.
Roberta Lamerdin, a 49-year-old small business owner north of Chicago, is one of the new female loyalists.
She never figured she’d ride a motorcycle. She changed her mind a few years back when her husband asked her to pick him up at a Harley-Davidson dealership, where he was having his bike repaired.
While waiting she sat on a Sportster 883 Low, the company’s flagship product in the push to win over women.
But hang around almost any Harley dealership or event and you still most likely see old white guys.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I are one.
Heres some old fun posts
- Boomer Motorcyclists: “I Like Big Bikes and I’ll Sir Harley-a-lot: I Like Big Bikes and I'll Probably Die. Boomers are spending more time in trauma centers or caskets because they are buying heavy, powerful Harleys. It's the image. They think they are 20-30 years old and still in great physical shape. The fact is, they are not. This kinda says it all. What a doofus. “I didn't realize that motorcycles these days are so much more powerful than when I was a kid,” said Heintschel, 45, a stucco contractor in Escondido. “I thought I was 18 again, but my body didn't agree.” Here's how to reduce the chances of shorteningyour life your your left leg in a wreck. Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) beginning riders course even if you have riding experience. Start with a small used bike until your skill leve is ready to take on a big heavy Harley. Wear the proper gear: full-face helmet, leather jacket and pants, gloves, and boats. #1 is usually followed, unless the buyer had a Harley 40 years ago and think they remember everything, which is probably 75% of the time. #2. Ha. Don't make me laff. Start small, with some little motorcycle that goes neeeeeeeeee, instead of par-rump, par-rump? Of course, #3 is just out of the question. The whole deal is to put on your denims, a black Harley tee shirt, a do rag so you can be SEEN.
- Harley Riders: Will You Just Shut Up! The city where I live has an ordinance against modifying motorcycle exhaust systems from manufacturer's original. I'm not positive, but I think this is one of those "look the other way" ordinances. Like spitting on the sidewalk, or that buildings must have posted a "no spitting" sign. Have you ever heard a quiet Harley? I love the pahrump-pahrump-pahrump of a Harley. What I don't like is the conversation drowning roar they put out when the owner shows off. Do they teach you in Harley school to make as much noise as possible in the city limits? I watched the Teddy Bear run one year (a fund raisers sponsored by Harley owners) and in the block in front of city hall, Every. Single. Harley. gunned it the whole block. As the noise echoed off the Federal building and Courthouse, the police and sheriff officers just smiled. Here's a case where Boomers could take a note from Millennials. Even though millennials wouldn't be caught dead on an American made motorcycle - the Japanese manufacturer's have learned how to muffle noise without sacrificing performance. I can say without equivocation: every Harley rider is guilty of making obnoxious sounds every time they ride. Get them in a group and each one has to top the other. Peer pressure run amok. But since they are Boomer law-breakers, the cops just look the other way. BTW: these are the same people that just HATE the boom-boom-boom bass blasters coming from car stereos.
- The Perfect Boomer Gift: Buy Some Ownership of Harley, or… Have you heard of oneshare.com? You buy one share of a stock and have it framed as a gift. I don't get anything for mentioning this, I was just reminded because I moved the one share of Apple I bought myself a couple years ago. It's a pretty cool gift if you're looking. If you have some kids or grandkids that love Disney, you can give them one share and tell them they are part owners. You choose the frame, (or not) and can add an engraved plaque (or not.) If you know a Harley owner who has everything Harley, one share of the company is a neat gift too. Here are their top ten sellers: 1 Disney 2 DreamWorks 3 Harley-Davidson 4 Wal-Mart 5 General Motors 6 Tiffany & Co. 7 Microsoft 8 Coca-Cola 9 McDonald's 10 Starbucks Surprisingly, most of the certificates are pretty boring. I guess marketing doesn't see this as a great place to do branding. Dreamworks is pretty cool. Shrek is peeking up from the bottom like Kilroy. Here's the silver lining in the dark cloud looming over stocks: some of the high-fliers are again affordable. Apple isn't one. When I bought the stock it was selling for about $30 a share. It closed today at $161. One share. Rats. I had the plaque engraved: Mark, Thanks for your inspiration. Who would have thought GUI would be so popular. Couldn't have done it without you. Steve. It's something not very many people have hanging on their wall. Too bad I didn't buy the wallpaper.
- Search Baby Boomer Engine Baby Boomer Terms Baby Boomer Run… From one column on the home page of a targeted ezine. Baby Boomer Generation wants Good Service Companies that value good service have to help the Baby Boomer customer receive value and a positive experience from the contact that is beyond the intrinsic nature or value... Baby Boomer Generation is Economically Optimistic Compared to their parents, the Baby Boomer Generation is economically optimistic. Ms. Golden America Pageant Featuring Baby Boomer Women Ms. Golden America Pageant Featuring Baby Boomer Women Beauty pageants featuring older Baby Boomer Women was featured on ABC’s Good Morning America. Who Is The True Baby Boomer Generation? Who Is The True Baby Boomer Generation? Demographic Popularizers believe that the 18 year Baby Boom Generation period may actually comprise not one, but two very different generations. The Ageless Baby Boomer! The Ageless Baby Boomer! The advent of age 60 for Baby Boomers can really accelerate the "old age" wrecking ball. Tradition says it's time to travel and play golf the rest of your life. NOT! Understanding Baby Boomer Generations Aging Minds Understanding Baby Boomer Generations Aging Minds As Baby Boomers grow older there are progressive changes in how we process information. Baby Boomers are Buying Anti Aging Skin Care Products Baby Boomers are Buying Anti Aging Skin Care Products If Baby Boomers can find an anti aging skin care products now, perhaps we can keep those sorts of things at bay a little longer rather than trying to... Baby Boomer Generation Pushing RV Ownership to Record High A growing number of Baby Boomers have pushed the number of RV owners to record levels, often giving up our 3,000 square foot homes to become full-time roadies in a 400 square foot recreational vehicle. Boomerang Kids May Jeopardize Baby Boomers' Retirement Plans Making smart–money financial decisions can help create a positive environment for us and our returning Boomerang UPDATE: In just a few hours after posting, I am number one on Google for baby boomer. Now that's just dumb. Where are these famous algorithms that are supposed to weed out obvious junk? OTOH: Love GOOG
- Ford Pulls a New Coke Move With New Mustang You remember New Coke, the soft drink that was gonna snag market share away from Pepsi. Instead New Coke hacked off a lot of loyal Coke drinkers and market share plummeted so badly that Coke brought back the old formula. Ford is gonna pull the same stunt with the iconic Mustang brand. Nancy's first car was a 1966 Mustang. Like the one above, six cylinder automatic. She bought it with her own moola. Girl Car! Her dad had a fit when the first weekend she went through $30 worth of gas (at 17 cents a gallon.) Mustangs were wildly popular when it was launched in 1965. Not good enough says Ford. Probably at the 50th anniversary of Mustang, 2015, Ford will piss off many loyal Mustang owners in an attempt to be relevant to a younger demographic -- who don't buy cars! Targeting Baby Boomers with cars has lost it's luster at Ford, while the rest of the marketing world is hitting the Baby Boomer demographic hard with new products and solutions. The Wall Street Journal reports that Ford is working on a significant design overhaul for its signature Mustang that will see the next iteration keep the classic shark-nosed grille and round headlights but adopt an overall look closer to that of the new Ford Fusion. Generation Y – those born between 1980 and 1999 – is the target Ford is aiming for. “You cannot sustain sales without looking for new buyers. True, you are going to lose sales, but you need to refresh the population of buyers,” Strategic Vision analyst Alexander Edwards told the Wall Street Journal. "True you are going to lose sales" A classic strategic vision if I've ever read one. Imagine how THAT meeting went down... OK guys, you need to redesign a car that has been selling at an acceptable clip for fifty years. Never mind that there are thousands of Mustang Clubs around the world that are so in love with the brand they will buy two or three or more Mustangs. Forget those guys. Let's focus on the people WHO DON"T BUY CARS. Edwards says the current average Mustang buyer is 51 years old. Exactly! The kind of car buyer that may will buy more than one Mustang - or keep updating his Pony every year or so. Are you ready for a Mustang EV or hybrid, chocked full of accessories that do not improve performance? iPhones and iPads and social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter? Driving itself has become a lower priority for younger people with a 2011 study by the University of Michigan finding that just 65 per cent of 18-year-olds had their driver’s license in 2008, down from 80 per cent in 1983. Smooth move Ford. The last rear-wheel drive Ford made in the US is the Mustang. (no more Crown Vics or Lincoln Town Cars.) Soon the last rear-wheel CAR made in the US will be the Corvette. Unless GM hires Strategic Vision to kill that brand too.