Friday Five – Undeveloped Blog Ideas
I hope you have better luck with these ideas than I did.
- Ropeless Jump Rope – thanks for sending me the idea Cheryl, but I just couldn’t go anyplace with it. If there was a weightless weight set, or smart dumbbell, I might have gotten a post.
- Grinding isn’t dancing – every time I started writing, I just remember “back in the day” people saying if you are dancing you should be touching the other person. Now that people are touching again, it freaks me a little. Especially threesomes.
- Words that have no rhyme – you probably know about orange, but I never came up with a rhyme for golf. I figured there would be other words that don’t have rhymes, but didn’t run across any.
- Drambuie – I used to drink this when I wanted to be “sophisticated.” Understand why this post never went anywhere?
- Updated Magic 8 Ball answers – they would all have to be obscene or slang, so what’s the point? As many of the commenters said, don’t mess with a classic.
How about wolf for a word having no rhyme? If I’m right, it’s ironic that golf and wolf have similiar spellings, don’t rhyme with each other or anything else.
That is outstanding – really cool trivia question too. Good one!
Neither golf nor wolf is on this list of rhymeless English words: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_without_rhymes. But they’re not in my dogeared rhyming dictionary, either.
For the story of how “pint” found a rhyme, see this wonderful post by Dictionary Evangelist Erin McKean: http://www.dictionaryevangelist.com/2007/09/poets-rejoice-maybe.html
Great comment thread, too!
Nancy – thanks for commenting. I never thought to wiki the phrase.
Pint? In my book, it doesn’t have a rhyme still!