The GM dealer closing list is remains a hot topic. Since GM has not released the dealer closing List, Huffington Post is trying to crowdsource the list.
Here’s how it is supposed to work. GM has a list of dealer closings. They don’t release the list to the general public. No matter, a giant blog like Huffington Post just asks their millions of readers to submit what they know to Huffington Post and a list of GM dealer closings appears.
Except when it doesn’t.
This is exactly why local newspapers and the AP still have a role in gathering news. They are close to the market and can put a couple reporters on the phone and start calling around. Or they have sources inside GM, and the GM dealer closing list is leaked.
Oh, and BTW, the Huffington Post won’t just take your word that you are sending them facts. No siree Bobbie. They want you to link with a “confirmed source.” Which I’m guessing means, they want you to link to a newspaper or television station report.
We are only posting confirmed closures of GM dealerships, so please include a link to a news report in your email.
Here’s the list of GM Dealer Closing compiled through crowdsourcing so far…
- Tom Sparks Buick in Dekalb, Illinois.
- Reichert Automotive Group, which has locations in Crystal Lake and Woodstock, Illinois.
- Two dealerships owned by the Asbury Automotive Group in Kissimmee, Florida.
- Fox Pontiac Buick GMC in Alpine Township, Michigan.
- Chuck Clancy Chevrolet dealership in Cartersville, Georgia.
- Nourse Interstate Automall in Richburg, South Carolina.
- Matthews Chevy of Brilliant, Ohio; and Glen Dale Motors and Bell Chevrolet of Sistersville, West Virginia.
- Merle Snider Motors in Winfield, Kansas
- Adams Chevrolet in Belton, Missouri.
- Eisenhower Motor Sales in Pemberville, Ohio.
- Stokes Hodges GM in Thomson, Georgia.
- Fox Motors in Charlevoix, Michigan.
- Roseland Auto Sales in Chicago.
- Williams Auto Group, Sayre, Pennsylvania.
- AutoServ of Laconia, in Belmont, New Hampshire.
- At least 18 dealerships in Minnesota.
- Johnson Motor Company of South Carolina and Henna Chevrolet of Aiken, South Carolina.
- Mendenhall-Roy Chevrolet in Grabill, Indiana
- J.L. Freed and Sons of Lansdale, Pennsylvania.
- Jones Chevrolet in Corvallis, Oregon.
- La Roche Buick Pontiac GMC in Brenham, Texas.
- McCombs Superior Pontiac GMC in San Antonio, Texas.
- Hatfield Buick/GMC, Redlands, California.
- Dick Bigelow Chevrolet, Parma, Ohio.
- Moore Pontiac Buick GMC, Canton, Georgia.
- Don Ayres Pontiac-GMC, Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- Preferred Chevrolet-Pontiac, Lagrange, Indiana.
- Tom’s Chevrolet, Cornell, Wisconsin.
- Frank Andrews Chevrolet, Dublin, Georgia.
- Bob Wysong Chevrolet-Pontiac, Cromwell, Indiana
- Meyer GMC Trucks, North Manchester, Indiana
- Rea Buick, Port Jervis, New York
- Firebaugh Chevrolet, Firebaugh, California
- Wile Motors, Columbia, Connecticut
- Raceway Chevrolet Pontiac Buick GMC, Lake City, South Carolina
- Servco Auto Windward, Kaneohe, Hawaii
- R.L. Reising Sales Inc., Beecher, Illinois
- Bruckerts Chevrolet, Bunker Hill, Illinois
- Patire Chevrolet Buick, Hoosick Falls, New York
- Olesen Chevrolet, Avoca, Iowa
- Courtesy Chevrolet, Morgan Hill, California
- Mazzei’s GMC in Pittsburgh, California
- Colonial Chevrolet-Buick, Talladega, Alabama
- Ricky Smith GMC, Weymouth, Massachusetts
- Johnson Sales, Arlington, Wisconsin
- Boyd Chevrolet, South Hill Virginia
- Larry Millier Pontiac Buick GMC, Caldwell, Idaho
- Brackeen Motors in Shawnee, Oklahoma
- City Chevrolet, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Charlie Roberts Chevrolet – Buick, Rensselaer, Indiana
- Daniels Chevyland, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Bill Cross of Performance Auto Group, Wooster, Ohio
- Moomaw Chevrolet, Sugarcreek, Ohio
- Crown Automotive, Lawrence, Kansas
- Epps Motors Middlesboro, Kentucky
- Spencer Auto Group, Spencer, West Virginia.
- Pat Fischer Chevrolet, Titusville, Florida
- Boyles Motors in Maryville, Missouri
- Olsen’s Implement, Huron, South Dakota.
- Salisbury Chevrolet, Glenville, New York
- Rose Buick Pontiac GMC, Gloversville, New York
- Videon Chevrolet in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
- Hubler Chevrolet Center, Shelbyville, Indiana
- Broadway Automotive, Pulaski, Wisconsin
- Lewis River Motor Co., Woodland, Washington
- Tri Pontiac Buick, Hemet, California
- Courtesy Chevrolet, Ontonagon, Michigan
- Alex Montgomery Chevrolet- Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep, Mount Washington, Kentucky
- Don’s Chevrolet, Ida Grove, Iowa
- Wells River Chevrolet, Wells River, Vermont
- Brighton Garage Chevrolet, Island Pond, Vermont
- Wagner Buick Pontiac GMC, Belleville, Illionis
- Krueger Auto & Truck Villa GMC, Waverly, Iowa
Out of an estimate 1,100 dealers on the GM dealer closing list, Huffington Post has only gotten 73 names. An Epic Fail in crowdsourcing.
But you won’t read Jeff Jarvis spewing any venom toward Huffington Post and the failure of crowd sourcing. He says newspapers blew it, and he’s sticking to it, even when the evidence clearly demonstrates that crowdsourcing isn’t working on a simple story like the GM dealer closing list.
Jarvis writes for Huffington Post. He teaches. He doesn’t work at a newspaper.
Stand by for the General Motors dealer closing list. It will be here as soon as GM releases it.
UPDATE: If you’re visiting from RapidCityJournal.com, I’m not usually as rude as I was to Jeff Jarvis in the comments. He’s just such a blow hard that I lost control. If you comment, I’ll be nice. Promise.