I am going to make a sincere attempt to answer these brainteasers. In the highly likely event of failure, I am depending on you.
1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
– First thought: Bowling, but I’m going to think some more and come back to this. (I’m back.) No, I’m still going with bowling. But that’s not right because good bowlers can figure it out. If this is the answer given by the source, I’m calling “bullshit.”
2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?
– Now this is weird, backward in relation to what or whom? I’m tempted to say population center marker, but that is so bogus. Backward is so relative.
3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
– Asparagus! (I know this because my Dad had an awesome patch of Asparagus.) I only started eating it this year. My mother would cook it until it was limp. Nancy leaves it crunchy in olive oil with lots of seasoning.
4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?
– Elton John
5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn’t been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?
– Do they grow the pear inside? Really? Or dehydrate it? Yeah, dehydrate, final answer.
6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ‘ dw’, and they are all common words. Name two of them.
– Not Elmer Fudd English? Dwat. This didn’t help dwa, dwe, dwi, dwu, dwo, dwy… Oh yeah it did: dwindle, dweeb,
7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.
Can you name at least half of them?
– Obvious answer is Yes. But in the sense of fair play: question mark, period, semi colon, colon, quotation marks, comma, interrobang (which is probably wrong) exclamation point, (how can I not get this staring at a keyboard!?!) If the answers include carat and tilde that’s just stupid.
8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
-Probably some exotic thing I never heard of. Ever walked down a baby food aisle, they process EVERYTHING now into baby food.
9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter ‘S.’
Shoe, sandal, sock, stocks, snowshoes, snow skiis, water skiis, (slight cheat)
Okay, this was way to damn hard for me. I don’t have the patience to do brain-teasers. I hope you do better. After all, I did get some of them right! The “answers” from the source will be published later today (along with my pithy analysis, if any.)