Game Shows That Would Be Infinitely Better if Host Was Drunk. And Some That I Think ARE Drunk.
Now that Pat Sajak has announced that he and Vanna White used to toss back some Margaritas while taping Wheel of Fortune, here are some game shows that I thin would be infinitely better if the host was drunk.
Sajak said they would drink:
“Two or three or six”
during a two-and-a-half hour break they had on days when they were shooting. In interview with ESPN 2’s “Dan Le Batard Is Highly Questionable,” Sajak said he and White would
“then come and do the last shows and have trouble recognizing the alphabet.”
This was back in the day when fake money was won and then time was wasted “buying” prizes at grossly inflated retail prices.
So here’s my list of game shows that would be greatly enhanced if the host was drunk:
- Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader: Jeff Foxworthy drunk dealing with some smarty-pants 5th graders and a slew of really dumb contestants. Winner!
- Jeopardy: “I’ll take white wine for $200 Alex.” Alex: Yeah, I had a bottle of Two Buck Chuck for lunch, loser.”
- Minute to Win It: Guy Fieri drunk would just be enchanting…
“Anytime any woman mentioned ‘cream,’ Guy went into a sexual riff. When cutting the show, you had to tell the editors to watch Guy’s eye line, because it’s always on breasts.”
- The Price is Right. Drew Carey falling into the Showcase Showdown wheel would be a show stopper. Bob Barker doing the same thing would be unbelievable.
Here are some game shows where I’m pretty sure the host is following the Pat Sajak and Vanna White school of gaming and performing drunk:
- Sábado Gigante
- Family Feud: Steve Harvey could be drunk, who can tell? I’m saying “yes.”
- WOW: The CatholicTV Challenge: two words: communion wine
- The Gong Show. Tell me Chuck Barris didn’t pop a few back before appearing. g’head.
Ole Pat and Vanna just went up a notch in my book now that the truth is out. Just hope Vanna doesn’t contradict Pat. I’ll be watching the innerwebs for clips from the old Wheel of Fortune.
I always thought there was a genuine, unforced camaraderie between Sajak and White. This just reinforces that cheery feeling!