American Masters: The Boomer List, attempts to tells the story of the boomer generation through the lives of 19 iconic boomers–one born each year of the baby boom:
- 1946 Tim O’Brien, Vietnam vet / author
- 1947 Deepak Chopra, M.D., New Age guru
- 1948 Samuel L. Jackson, actor
- 1949 Billy Joel, singer-songwriter
- 1950 Steve Wozniak, co-founder, Apple Computer
- 1951 Tommy Hilfiger, fashion designer
- 1952 Amy Tan, author
- 1953 Eve Ensler, playwright
- 1954 Julieanna Richardson, founder, The HistoryMakers
- 1955 Maria Shriver, journalist
- 1956 Kim Cattrall, actor
- 1957 Virginia Rometty, CEO, IBM
- 1958 Ellen Ochoa, Director, Johnson Space Center
- 1959 Ronnie Lott, athlete
- 1960 Erin Brockovich, environmentalis
- 1961 Peter Staley, AIDS activist
- 1962 Rosie O’Donnell, entertainer
- 1963 David LaChapelle, artist
- 1964 John Leguizamo, actor
Interviews by filmmaker/photographer Timothy Greenfield-Sanders (The Black List, The Latino List, The Out List) focus on these individuals’ exceptional achievements, struggles and identities, sharing the experiences of these extraordinary Americans and the history they lived through and often created. Subjects illuminate the key movements and changes that shaped the world during the baby boom years, discussing the environment; arts and entertainment; science; civil, LGBT and women’s rights; law; politics; public service; sports; the military; technology and media.
“When I learned about this year’s boomer milestone, I came up with the idea for The Boomer List. The film captures the boomer generation’s dynamic spirit through 19 distinct ‘American Masters’ who had a profound effect on our world.”
says Greenfield-Sanders, whose past films include About Face: Supermodels Then and Now and American Masters – Lou Reed: Rock and Roll Heart.
Apparently he didn’t think enough of the generation to interview a plain old boomer… like say, MOI!
“The Boomer List is a celebration of this generation’s impact on American culture. It is impossible to encapsulate in just a few words, but thanks to the talent both on camera and behind the lens, this remarkable film offers an incredible chorus of voices that somehow captures the zeitgeist of this era,”
says Michael Kantor, executive producer of American Masters.
Yeah, we’ll see… you’ve been warned PBS American Masters.